Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:20:47 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I thought I would add an interesting example to the discussion, and see if anyone else had heard of something like this.  I had a SIL who nursed five babies, with inverted nipples. This was before I ever learned how to nurse.  With each baby, she spent several months with so much pain that she would cry when she nursed, and her babies would spit up red milk.  Once, a rather large piece of her nipple tissue came off.  A lot became evident one day at a family gathering.  I was nursing my fifth baby and telling about my problems getting him positioned and latched on correctly, after having been on bottles for two weeks before I adopted him.  My mother-in-law, who had always claimed to be very knowledgable about breastfeeding, and my two sisters-in-law (the other of whom did not have inverted nipples but still had some persistent pain with nursing) all said that they didn't know positioning or latch made any difference!  That helped explain the bloody milk and excruciating pain but, what I couldn't understand, was how my one SIL would have had such enormous, healthy babies (one was 23 pounds at four and a half months old), on her milk only, with such lousy positioning.  Months later, when the topic came up again, she commented that, when she started to nurse, she had to hurry and get her babies to the breast, or they would get sprayed in the face.  The only thing I could see was that she had a persistent over-active let-down, which had resulted in milk removal, despite very poor latch.  Has anyone heard of any other case like this?

Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2