Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 23:50:24 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (80 lines)
Susan, I'm in! I've been thinking zbout this for a long time every now and then. I would love to have an academic course in lactation sciences and even more would love to teach it.
  I'd love to see this idea thought over and discussed by many IBCLCs in many places around the world. I especially like the idea of co-operating universities around the world.

Warmly,

Gonneke. IBCLC, LLLL in southern Netherlands, near to a university with a department of medical sciences and a substantial department of nursing sciences (Maastricht University)

Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Dear all:

I've been thinking about a potential solution if we don't get resolution on the off-topic problem. 
And a solution to something that many of us feel is needed, an advanced credential. Many of the 
IBCLCs that have kept current or even gone on to advance the frontiers of lactation doing what I 
consider to be crucially important research on intervention strategies really should have advanced 
level qualifications and I certainly, would immediately work myself to the bone to get such an 
advanced level credential.

I was thinking this would be unbelievably complicated or impossible or too costly. BUT the 
internet might actually make this feasible.

Here's what I envision:

A consortium of sponsoring universities, with a mentor IBCLC in place at each university. An 
online course made of the the IBCLCs that are pushing the envelop of practice and intervention 
research in their areas of specialty. Each would develop a curricula on a particular topic that 
would be in-depth and cover the equivalent of a semester of course work. No one day dabbling 
that one gets at mini conferences or oversaturation that one gets at larger conferences. This 
would be a day a week gradually over the course of a semester. The course attendee would be 
required to spend a certain amount of time per week consulting with the IBCLC at the nearest 
university about the implications of the course work for the IBCLCs practice. This would both 
benefit the course "attendee" and the IBCLC mentor because there is nothing like having to think 
about how this applies to your own practice to really make it useful. 

At the end of each course there would be a final exam and an evaluation jointly by the IBCLC 
mentor and the course facilitator of application of the course content to the course participants 
practice.

This would add a depth and richness unattainable by any course that was primarily in one setting. 
It would remove the high costs of facility use. It would provide an opportunity to go through an 
alternative credentialing body. One could develop a consortium credentialing body of public 
health, nutrition, psychology, and many varied fields. I choose these fields because I think we 
have not been paying as much attention as needed to the long-term breastfeeding relationship 
from prior to pregnancy through weaning. 

When I looked at IBCLE's exam score breakdown, I was not surprised. Contrary to the popular 
wisdom that most IBCLCs don't know enough about premies, and the early postpartum period, the 
scores in this area were dramatically higher than the scores for knowledge of breastfeeding for 
7-12 month olds. Also, the number of questions for each period were dramatically skewed 
towards earlier nursing and not the entire relationship. We should, as a profession, if we are really 
to have an impact on breastfeeding be equally skilled across the spectrum of breastfeeding OR 
subspecialize. 

Best regards, Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Who is entirely serious and would love to take this up at the next ICLA meeting on controversies in 
lactation. Boy will that be a hot meeting.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2