Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:41:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Susan, I appreciate your thoughts on this. It is very easy to get caught up in labeling and boxes and while it can (in a sloppy sense) give some frame of reference as to what perspective a person or profession *might* have, it truly doesn't take into account the vast array of individuality in any one group. And yes, it can be very misleading and even dangerous at times. In terms of a person who identifies themselves under a certain label, amen amen to the point that a label carries with it no guarantee that the individual or group is more of a patient advocate or independent thinker or that they are less biased and more ethical. Lack of integrity and tendency toward coerciveness come in all shapes and sizes and under all guises of health models.  

Your comments on natural and organic and traditional, etc raised a point I have been pondering quite a bit lately. Sometimes individuals label anything pharmaceutical as "chemical" or "toxin" and things that are "natural" are considered by some of the same individuals as deemed "safe." Conversely, others might label a pharmaceutical substance as "safe" because it has undergone tests and trials and that an herbal substance is automatically "unsafe" because it has never been tested. And I agree, the terms "good" and "bad" are often applied and misapplied. Both of these perspectives seem rather biased to me. I so agree that simply because a substance is naturally occurring does not say anything about its safety to humans. Additionally, a substance can be safe at one level and toxic at another. Toxicity is not simply in the substance, but in the dose as well. Vitamins A and D can be fatally toxic at certain levels, though they are both also essential to body functions. But the same people who would never label vitamin A or D as blanketly "toxic," yet may quickly vilify something such as an antidepressant as toxic. Water can be toxic if one drinks too much. Any substance can be toxic at certain levels, natural substances are in no way excluded from this. Knowledge of limits and levels is so important in every substance and in every therapy in general. There are absolutely pharmaceutical substances that have more adverse effects than benefits, and I don't imply that because these are 'regulated' they are automatically more safe. By no means. Some pretty horrendous meds have been approved, only to be pulled from the shelves after discovering the true effects. This is just a personal viewpoint, but I tend to see all substances in supplemental form (whether it be vitamins, herbs, pharmaceutical, dietary supplements, homeopathy, etc) as falling under "medications." Medications (or the more loose term, "drugs") are any substance that has a physiological effect on the body/used for treatment and any of the above mentioned substances fit into this category. Some are more safe than others, some have more risks, some have more side effects, some are not very effective and some are very potent, but all are medications IMveryHO:). When I offer this perspective to clients and students, it helps them consider the need to be very wise about any supplement we put into our bodies. I talk a lot about how in the context of avoiding toxicity, the safest place to get nutrients is through whole foods and that supplements of any kind should be used very judiciously. Not only the safety/toxicity point, but many substances can be labeled "natural" but they have still been processed and may not be able to be metabolized and used by the body though they are derived from natural substances (such as a processed and packaged multivitamin). 

You'll appreciate this, Susan; In the supermaket a few months back I took a photo with my phone of a product that just made me chuckle. It was for organic ice cream cones. The irony is that some consumers may buy this simply because it says, organic. Suddenly organic has made non-whole foods "healthy?" Clever advertising, but rather misleading.

If these labels are fuzzy to us then they are just as fuzzy if not more so to consumers/clients/patients.

Deb, RN, BSN, CCCE, Lact Counselor, Colorado

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2