Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:10:18 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
You know, I didn't think about it until you asked, but during our *very recent* NICU stay (discharged home last Wednesday) nobody gave me instructions for how frequently or how to wash my pump parts. I gave birth early Sunday morning & the LC wasn't available until Tuesday to come see me. They gave me the Symphony kit a couple hours after we were admitted but zero instructions. Thank God I knew how to use it! My baby was a relatively healthy late preterm infant so I'm sure there's not quite the same level of concern about pump hygeine as there would be for a 24 weeker. I tried to make sure my husband washed my pump parts well once every 24 hours. Beyond that I just rinsed them with hot water between each pumping (pumping every 2-3 hours) but I know there were times I didn't even rinse them. 

NICU is stressful! But that's a whole other LN post...

In other news, we joyfully welcomed our second son, Lewis, into this world on Father's day (6/17) at exactly 36 weeks gestation. We had a lovely, easy birth with our midwife at the birth center followed by a less lovely ambulance ride and 10 day NICU stay. I will be a much better lactation consultant after this experience but it is a hard way to learn!

Laura Wasielewski MS, CCC-SLP, IBCLC
In Los Angeles, enjoying my naked newborn son who is sleeping on my chest where he belongs:-)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2