Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:39:32 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Dear all:

Just as one of the lactation consultants who works here in Manhattan gave me very hopeful news 
of a hospital that is bucking the trends in terms of increasing care for breastfeeding mothers 
which totally boosted my spirits, I want to let you know about the Realbirth Center where I do my 
breastfeeding support groups and teach one to two prenatal breastfeeding classes a month.

The center was started with all the educators from Elizabeth Seton.  It has become extremely 
popular and the classes are always packed.  I get very good feedback from clients who have 
attended these classes, which I think are six weeks long.  I know some parents do opt for the 
marathon sessions that are packed into a weekend, but I'm not sure that they represent the 
majority.  These classes are highly evidence-based and at the same time nonjudgemental.  I feel 
confident that enough information is given that parents have been exposed to good solid evidence 
from which to make informed decisions.

Ditto the breastfeeding classes.  I can only do one or two a month, but the center is now running 
six classes a month with about 15 couples per class.  The classes are usually booked a month or 
two in advance.

I think what makes the classes successful is the fact that parents are treated as adults.  The 
classes are not offered by a hospital so there are no regulations limiting the type of evidence-
based information that be provided.

I do see some home birthed and some unmedicated deliveries (although I have only met one 
mother who escaped the hospital without pitocin being given after the delivery) and most of these 
come from parents who attended Realbirth classes.

Best regards, Susan Burger

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2