Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2013 08:59:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Ah, c'mon, you guys! Yer makin' me blush;-)

We all learn so much from each other, "cross fertilizing" each other's brains, because no two of us can have the exact same experiences, so a la Ben Franklin and "learning from the mistakes of others because there are too many possible mistakes to make to learn from, all on our own", we learn valuable, usable good things from the experiences of others too.

I thank heaven that I still have as many of my marbles now as I do, and I thank whatever wise nun in the nursing school office assigned me to my first month of solo night duty at age 18 in 1948, during the height of the baby boom, to staff a postpartum floor. In my infinite wisdom after the OB experience was finished, I said to myself "Postpartum is where the lazy dumb nurses go. I want to go somewhere exciting!" 

Fortunately, for me anyway, there were no intensive care units in those days when I graduated. Plus, when my husband was overseas, and the hormones of my first pregnancy kicked in, the nursery appealed to me. Something else was going on in my brain too, and I marched into L&D with my copy of Grantly Dick Read under my arm (to no avail, that birth;-) I must have been reading and talking about the Yale New Haven work as well, and was surprised, courtesy of one of the other nuns, to be the "test case", as my son and I ended up the first mother/baby duo to room in in Dayton OH in 1952. And when my fourth child was born, LLL had been created, and this lovable tyke, with the help of LLL, "re-educated" me from the heart on up. Parenthood, grandparenthood, and now great-grandparenthood, still continues to educate me. 

So thankful to the listmothers and happy that Lactnet exists so that we can all "pass our torches" forward worldwide in this wonderful relay race about helping families be the best they can be.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer     Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2