Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:48:57 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I have just searched the archives and found information from Dr.. Newman stating that babies should be able to breastfeed after liver transplants.  I would like to know if there is any further information about this.  Here's why.

I am working with a mom who had a healthy baby by c/section this morning.  Baby doing well, nursing well.  Mom's family was in the room, 3 children, the third child 15 months old.  I asked her how long she had nursed him.  She said a few months, he had a liver disease, and the doctors had to do a liver transplant.  After the transplant, she continued to nurse and he did well for a while, began making age appropriate behaviors,began solid foods and did well until his liver was rejected.  Mom was told the rejection  was because she was breastfeeding, that her milk caused antibodies to cause the blood vessels to the new liver to die.  She put him on a high calorie formula.  When he had his second surgery, he became very ill, was not expected to survive, and has suffered brain damage.  He is now only drinks high calorie formula.  Mom would like to consider giving him breastmilk as well, but is afraid to because her doctor said her milk would damage him and cause liver rejection.  He is basically functioning like about a 5 month old now, cannot walk, is not beginning to talk, cannot take solids because he tongue thrusts the solids.  She is optimistic as he is 
beginning to make small improvements each week.

From Dr.. Newman's note in Lactnet indicated that there should be no problems, but I wonder if there is anyone who has dealt with a child continuing to nurse and do well after transplant, and if there are any articles to support this view that this mother could share with her physician.  She says her doctor in Chicago had encouraged her to continue breastfeeding after the surgery, but when she moved to NC and then the baby had the rejection, the new physician indicated the breastmilk was the problem.  She is willing to build a big milk supply in order to feed two babies.  She confided that she had a huge supply before she was told to wean, and dripped for weeks after he began formula.  I believe she could make plenty of milk.   Help?

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC
in Floyd territory, but just experiencing rain and winds right now, still have power and computer!

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2