Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2018 06:52:52 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Hallo everyone,

In Zimbabwe supplementation with cooking oil in babies (even very young) is very common, it is said to reduce colic and treat constipation. I want to find some clarity for myself on 2 major questions, 1. Does it do any harm or is it a harmless cultural practice?, 2. Does it really work?

I would like to publish a small article on my findings for mothers. This is how far I am, but I feel there is still lots missing. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
_____
Supplementing with olive oil or cooking oil to treat constipation and colic
Giving olive oil or cooking oil to babies is not recommended. This is in line with the recommendations by the lactation professionals, WHO and Ministry of Health. This sparked my interest. I have now dug deaper and would like to share what I found out.
There is absolutely no research I could find about the effect, positive or negative, for constipation or colic, of oil on infants. There is an article I found from 1937 calling it an "old practice of giving babies castor oil" "is dying out" (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2086958/pdf/brmedj04284-0041b.pdf). "Mineral oil may ease the passage of stool by lubricating the intestine and decreasing water absorption. ... Oral mineral oil is contraindicated in children younger than age 1 year." (http://www.nccpeds.com/ContinuityModules-Spring/Spring%20Faculty%20Modules/Constipation-Faculty.pdf)
In Zimbabwe our EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding rate in the first 6 months is only about 6%! You are not exclusively breastfeeding if your child gets oil, water, formula, glucose water,  colic drops or anything else orally except breastmilk.
Your baby does not need colic mixtures,  gripe water or oil. In fact it can introduce infection and wash away the protective effect of mothers milk on the gut, preventing it from absorbing important vitamins from the diet.
First DO NO HARM. To me it's not clear that this is not harmful to babies, so in absence of proof that it is indeed harmless I will recommend against this practice.
_____

Thank you,

Katinka Musavaya
IBCLC, Harare, Zimbabwe

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2