Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:34:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
There is some question about whether blood and saliva tests are totally accurate for such things as cortisol.  It is excreted intermittently in response to stress so levels can go up with stress of being stuck for a blood test!  Just like "white coat syndrome" causing elevated blood pressures.  I'd ask this naturopath what the qualifications are.  It's all about commitment to truth.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Micky Jones
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:43 AM
Subject: Cortisol in breastmilk

Hello all,
Quick question. I have a long-time client, breastfeeding a toddler (around 19months) who was told by her Naturopath (which actually have no legal standing to practice in our state - TN - so I do  not know him/her) that she has stressed adrenal glands and was "spilling cortisol" into her breastmilk, making her baby wild and "all over the place" (welcome to toddler mothering, right?). She has been stressed, touched out and feeling some mothering burnout and I totally respect that. Apparently blood and saliva tests were done on mom to determine her hormone levels and such however no testing was done on the baby. So of course, she was told to WEAN so that the baby would not be suffering the ill effects of "too much cortisol" in the mother. 

Anyway, I told her I had never heard anything like that and that women under extreme stress as in war-torn countries can still breastfeed and in fact it may be the most grounding, calming thing they can do for their child. But I told her I would see if anyone had heard of such a thing, if should effect breastfeeding at all, etc.

She is also under pressure from family members, including her husband to not breastfeed forever or cosleep with the next one b/c it  causes her too much stress. I think not having enough supportive people around her is causing her too much stress.  :)

Thank you for your replies. Feel free to email me directly or reply here. [log in to unmask]

Micky Jones, BS, CLD, CD(DONA), HCHI, IBCLC
9 Months & Beyond, LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2