Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2013 17:02:29 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
If moms were willing to do STS and breastfeed with a room full of visitors then we would be fine with that. :) The problem we have is the visitors inhibit early STS and breastfeeding.  The nurse may place baby STS with mom and leave the room for a few minutes and come back to find baby swaddled in grandma's arms! Or mom will refuse to do STS or breastfeed stating she does not want to make visitors leave and she would prefer to breastfeed later.  Many times, mom is the last person in the room to get to hold her baby after birth.  Tricia is right, patient education is key. If the moms come to the hospital planning to do STS and breastfeed after birth, and they are committed to it then it probably would be fine if they wanted visitors to stay. Prenatal education is part of our plan--I am now thinking it should be the most important part of our plan.

Nina, I do understand what you are saying. My personality leans me towards wanting to completely kick out all visitors so mom can be alone with baby.  Many of our moms prefer this also.  Every once in awhile I meet a mother that does not feel this way. Recently we had a mother that was exhausted. Before I talked with her, I blamed her exhaustion on the visitors.  Well I was wrong!  She told me that having friends and family in her room all day kept her rejuvenated and happy.  She said the worst part of her hospital stay was the 2 hours she was alone in her room! As with everything else we do with working with moms, we try to do what is best for each individual mom and baby, when possible.I really hope we can come up with something at our hospital that can provide an optimal start for breastfeeding, but still meet the needs of each individual patient.  What we are doing right now is not working. 

Christine Lichte, BS, IBCLC
Warrensburg, MO

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2