Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2013 20:28:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I just want you all to know (as I'm a little surprised by the reaction of everyone to this test) that this is recommended in the current literature for lactation consultants.  I am using the materials at lactation education training .com.  It's a few years old (2010 or 2011), but it is what is recommended to assess a mother with a potentially low milk supply.  

I have been working with this family for whom I recommended the test for two months now.   The mom is taking domperidone, the baby had a posterior tongue tie and had been recommended nipple shields by a lactation consultant and then refused to latch directly until a week ago. And in the case of this family I was hoping to use it as a confidence builder.  I am using this test as a piece of information, but certainly not the only intervention that we have used to help this family.  

I am the family's pediatric nurse practitioner/lactation educator and have been following them very closely since one week of life.  I saw them today and used the pre-post feed weights (are you against this approach as well?!) and have discovered that based on this one glimps in time, her supply appears to be sufficient for his needs.  He is consitently growing on the 25%ile for 3 weeks now and has been off nipple shields for a week!  We are now starting to decrease sns supplements...of course I will follow-up!

I agree it would be absurd to use this without great follow-up or other interventions, but how can you be so adamantly against this additional piece of information?  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2