Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:01:18 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Nikki,
I have been vegetarian and was mostly vegan during my pregnancy and during my 2+ ( still counting) of nursing exclusively.

I really enjoyed and referenced quite a bit a  book by Dr Michael Klaper, MD  called Pregnancy Children and the Vegan Diet .  Info, research, guidelines and meal suggestions. Lots of references and an extensive bibliography.

I do not supplement myself, did only slightly during pregnancy and immed postpartum ( Floridix w/iron liquid- vegan iron Fe gluconate)

I can't imagine that the transition would be easy in 1 week on the brain , but I  can't see where immed switching to a healthful diet could cause harm. I am not a nutritionist, but do teach about good nutrition as a CBE and CLE.

I would suggest going light on the beans, or eating bean spreads that are lighter like hummus.  Almond butter rather than peanut butter. For protein, I use wheat germ and nutritional yeast as sprinkles/toppings for B vit and extra protein ( and flavor!) on my cereals, rice, spreads and soups ( Miso ......)

As a vegan yourself, I am sure you are familiar with the alarmist attitudes towards non-meat eaters and their protein intake. 

I ate lots of grits , whole grain pancakes, veggie wraps, tofu and fruits immed pp and (unk if related) did have over supply issues and a baby with bright green stools. We got it worked out, and she was always 90%+ on the charts and never supplemented.

You might also direct her to Mothering Magazines parenting board where she can get tips from hundreds of fellow nursing/vegan moms. www.mothering.com

Hope I helped from a personal input, although not scientific!
Mirine Dye
Childbirth and Lactation Educator in the Fab Fla Keys

Visit my Florida Birth Website!

http://floridabirth.homestead.com/floridabirth.html

If your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together...

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2