Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 1996 12:29:20 PDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
It has been a long time since I have been on lactnet.  We have a new carrier and I have had lots of trouble logging on-but finally figured it out and am excited to be recieving mail again.  (Although my son made a comment like-"Oh, no! Mom's getting Lactnets again.  Now no one will be able to get near the computer)
To make a long story short, I am an LC in Orange County, NY and have been had 2 part time jobs over the last 5 years in a hospital and with a WIC agency.  In December, the hospital experienced some bugetary problems and, seeing the handwriting on the wall, I left that position-although I discovered I was to be terminated anyway.  I found out a few weeks ago that, also because of serious budget difficulties, my position at WIC will also be ending as of June 20th.  Needless to say, I am very upset by all of this and would love to hear others ideas on how to continue to make a living in the field of lactation.  Although my supervisor at WIC is desperately looking for a grant (anyone out there know of any?) I am fearful that I may need to go it on my own.  Of the many LCs I have spoken to, I don't know any who is making enough money to get by.  Having 3 of our 5 children in college next year makes income a necessity!!

Anyone out there have any insight on either jobs in lower NY State or other ideas.  Although I am not a nurse, I come well recommended by my supervisors.  I am only afraid that my time in the field of lactation is over and since I have been doing this since 1986, I have very few ideas on how to proceed.  You can email me privately, rather that take up room here.  If anyone else wants to know what I come up with, email me and I'll share any information I recieve.
TIA for your support and Ideas.
Barbara Leshin-Zucker, IBCLC
Highland Mills, NY

ATOM RSS1 RSS2