Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:20:34 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
info on pregnancy and bfing is on this site I just put in a few of the Q and A's

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/qa/breastfeeding.htm

Breastfeeding
  Q. Can West Nile virus be transmitted through breast milk?
A. Based on a 2002 case in Michigan, it appears that West Nile virus can be transmitted through breast milk. A new mother in Michigan contracted West Nile virus from a blood transfusion shortly after giving birth. Laboratory analysis showed evidence of West Nile virus in her breast milk. She breastfed her infant, and three weeks later, her baby's blood tested positive for West Nile virus. Because of the infant's minimal outdoor exposure, it is unlikely that infection was acquired from a mosquito. The infant was most likely infected through breast milk. The child was healthy, and did not have symptoms of West Nile virus infection.

Q. Should I continue breastfeeding if I am symptomatic for West Nile virus?
A. Because the health benefits of breastfeeding are well established, and the risk for West Nile virus transmission through breastfeeding is unknown, the new findings do not suggest a change in breastfeeding recommendations.
Lactating women who are ill or who are having difficulty breastfeeding for any reason should, as always, consult their physicians. 
  Q. Should I continue breastfeeding if I live in an area of West Nile virus transmission?
A. Yes. Because the health benefits of breastfeeding are well established, and the risk for West Nile virus transmission through breastfeeding is unknown, the new findings do not suggest a change in breastfeeding recommendations.
  Q. If I am breastfeeding, should I be tested for West Nile virus?
A. No. There is no need to be tested just because you are breastfeeding. 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2