Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:11:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
After lurking for 18 months the time has come for me to post.  My name is Sue Kappel, IBCLC.  I am very proud to be able to put those initials behind my name, as I worked and studied very hard to get them.  The current discussion on credentials, ILCA membership and sponsorship has captured my attention. 

I sat for the exam 2 years ago and still haven't made any money (and I mean zero).  I have continued to stay involved with my local breastfeeding support group, Nursing Mothers Inc, in the capacity of an educator and coordinator of their information line.  Thank God for this as it has kept my counseling skills polished.  I will be moving away from my group after the summer is over , so that I can give my business a shot.  I have started a pump rental and lactation company called 
All About Breastfeeding with a partner.  It has been impossible for us so far to get anyone to pay for our lactation services, although we have rented a few pumps.  We are hoping the new AE pump to compete with the P -N-S will help us to get our feet off the ground. (We got information about it in the mail just yesterday and it is finally available   YEAH!!!!!)  My husband would prefer I get a "real" job to help start paying the bills.  I have been an at home mom for the last 10 years and this September my youngest starts first grade. I hope he gives me a little to time to try and make a go of my business.

I will be going to Boca.  I had to save for 2 years to pay the conference fees and will be incorporating it into a family vacation.  My husband's family  lives in Fla. I am still looking for a room mate(2,3,4 to a room I don't care.  I am easy to get along with )  I am hoping to get some good ideas to get my business off to a decent start.

While WORKING as a volunteer counselor I was inspired by an IBCLC who gave much of her time and commitment to our small organization. Many of you may know her as the infamous Terriann Shell.  Terriann's constant encouragement helped to keep me going the many times I wondered "Why am I doing this?"  One reason was that I wanted some of the respect that Terriann got due to her "initials".  I have gotten this .  Many volunteers have looked to me for advice and counseling just as I looked to Terriann.  (Of course Terriann has been missed by us due to her Alaska adventure)
There are times when I don't know the answer, or when the counselor knows more than I , but the IBCLC  helps them to accept what I have to offer in advice or encouragement.  I have been throwing my initials around in pursuit of gainful employment.  Maybe someday it will help.

Since I was so poor, I could not afford the books to study or the cost of the exam.  I was lucky to find a sponsor in a good friend who looks on me as a surrogate daughter.  Without Pop Pop Palmer , I never would have been able to get even this far.  Pop Pop even paid my ILCA dues for the first year.  I saved to pay them this year.

I agree that the pre-requisite to sit for the exam should include some clinical experience.  How I would have been able to get it , I don't know,  but I wish I had.  I worry about my skills because I don't get to "see" moms and babies.  I am trying and will continue to.

My greatest hope for my future as a lactation consultant is in ILCA.  I pray that with their help and yours we can get our profession to be accepted as legitimate and necessary.
(yes, I do consider myself  a professional even without pay) 

Sorry my first post is such a rant,  I've probably been saving it up for the last year and a half.

See you in Boca.  E-mail if you need a roomie.

Respectfully yours in breastfeeding, 
Susan Kappel, BS, IBCLC
All About Breastfeeding
Earleville, MD 21919

ATOM RSS1 RSS2