Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:42:01 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I need your opinion on this hard case. I saw this mom 10-11 weeks ago with sore nipples. No trauma other than redness. This baby was a chomper. Mom pumped and bottle fed to let the nipples heal. When that didn't work then we used a nipple shield. Mom reports some improvement but then baby has difficulty going back to the breast after using.  There was some improvement with chiropractic adjustments. But pain never truly went away. This mom just called today and after going to another LC friend for a second opinion and a dermatologist and Le Leche League she is still suffering. The latch has improved. The chomping is gone. The jaw guide is good. I was at the second opinion consult and saw this baby at 8 weeks. Mom said when the baby nurses, she just feels pulling but the the nipples feels raw and the pain scale is 4 out of 10. Her milk has been tested for thrush. The dermatologist said she couldn't find anything wrong. No signs of infection or thrush. The doctor thought it could be Raynauds but mom does not think she has that. I told her to do the heat method and give that a try and see how that helps. What are we missing here? I am thinking oral antibiotics as the next step. I read a research study on persistent sore nipples recently and they mentioned that oral antibiotics need to be explored for persistent sore nipples. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Julie

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2