Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:29:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
What a challenging situation for that family! I like the suggestion of laid back / bath time breastfeeding, and just taking a break from breastfeeding (while protecting the milk supply, of course). I would suggest skin to skin for baby with either parent, for as long as the baby tolerates it.

At first glance, this sounds like the baby is or was in pain and perhaps is having a very strong reaction to something that spooked her at the dermatologist's mouth examination. I wonder if mom could access some CST and baby bodywork to help relax the baby and help her "reset". Also, I would consider feeding by cup or spoon, or maybe finger feeding (with a SNS type tube taped to the finger). I'm wondering if the baby would do better without the oral stimulation of a nipple - whether by fancy bottle or by breast. I think emotional support for the family and reminding them that this is temporary will be important to helping everyone get through this. 

I don't know anything about the medications or conditions being treated, but I hope the parents are able to get good information from the doctor's involved in any available treatment options if it may be contributing to the complications. And, of course, whatever needs to be done to rule out any other problems that could be causing the baby to be in so much pain. 

I hope this clears up shortly!

Sincerely,

Niki Marineau

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2