Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:58:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Mandi,

Your display sounds like a wonderful idea and don't restrict yourself but Chris Mulford's idea might be just the way to handle it.

Wanted to share how foolish some people are about seeing pictures or portrayals of breastfeeding.  Earlier in the week the Today Show aired a
segment on the Cannes festival ad awards.  Today Show was showing how riske' other countries can be or how "different" their sense of humor
is.  But the ads shown were all in the top running for awards.  MTV's ad (from Brazil, I think) shows a baby nursing and just smiling away.  The
show had to digitize the nipple area because baby kept unlatching to smile at mom, mom smiles back, baby smiles.  Then they showed babys
hand creep inside mom's bra on the other side, and they kept going from baby nursing, mom smiling, baby in and out of mom's bra and all the
while playing "I Can't Fight this Feeling Anymore,...." by REO Speedwagon.  It was such a beautiful, loving scene.  Very playful and one of those
very special times between baby and mom. But guess what, Katie Couric was totally shocked that they can actually show such a thing.  The
person telling about the commercials was making lots of comments about how much was shown and why they couldn't, shouldn't show
something like that here and (they kept talking over each other) Katie started to say something about formula or why couldn't they use formula or
something while the other guy was saying his ideas and the word "pedophile" or pedophilia had to come out of his mouth!

I was offended that they would interpret such a loving, scene as anything perverted.  And, if Katie thought a bottle of formula would give the same
rush of feelings to be remembered by a mother or baby she obviously doesn't get it.  (I 'think' she did formula feed, though and having her career
blossoming when her children were very young was probably just the best choice for her at that time.)  I understand that some feel that
breastfeeding is in someway sexually perverse but don't think it is a good thing to say it in front of so many, thereby perpetuating or validating the
idea in  some peoples minds.

It is nice that other parts of the world saw it as a good presentation.  Sure wish we would show it here in the U.S.

Good Luck!

Cheryl

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2