Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:39:14 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Re: << I am working with a diabetic mother of seven month old twins. In the last few weeks mom has started developing plugs (looking like little white heads) on her nipples. Since she is diabetic, she has sterile needles and she opens these plugs herself. Then gets one of the babies to hook up and nurse on that side to clear it up. The problem is, mom is getting these plugged nipple pores several times a week. I have searched the archives and cannot really find anything helpful.

Could the diabetes have anything to do with this problem? Could it be dietary? I have not asked her about her diet yet. Is there anything that she can do to prevent these? Lecithin maybe? >> 

Since the plugged nipple pore/bleb issue began only recently, I'd first look at what may have changed in the BF routine in the last month or so. Her babies are at a time when either/both may have "dropped" a feeding, started some solids, go a bit longer at night, changed from more simultaneous to individual BF (or vice versa), take less time to BF, etc. Moms of twins get more social and involved in family/friend events, e.g. hosting a family party, having the christening, etc. or moms delay/put off a feeding here or there because babies are OK with it, and so on. Some who have been pumping a lot after bumpy BF starts with twins (sometimes pumping too much) begin to cut back...

Because of her "double" milk production, she/her body may be more sensitive to even small changes in previous BF "routine."

Re: opening plugged pores/blebs with sterile needle -- due to her diabetic condition and potential effect on healing, this mom needs to be extra careful to avoid infection. 

Can't imagine that lecithin and focusing on unsaturated fats in the diet could ever "hurt" to try... Hope the issue resolves soon.

Karen

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2