Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:15:51 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Thank you all for your responses. I tried to keep the e-mail short, but it seems more detail is needed. Thanks for the interest. Here it is.
Baby now almost 5 months. Not a drop of formula, ever. Didn't leave the parent's sight during hospital stay, no chance of any hidden sources of formula.
Mom  went down to eating only chicken, rice, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, pears, apples, and peaches for 10 days. No changes seen at all - stools mucousy and occult blood positive. Other foods added one at a time, no frank blood seen except for maybe a pin prick once. Mom back on to regular diet except no milk protein and no soy. Also no artificial colors, preservatives, mostly organic throughout.
Baby is not anemic. Happy and thriving. No sign that he feels any pain.
Stool cultures done, all came back negative.
Baby has had auriculotherapy and a form of acupuncture. Mom taking non-dairy probiotics and even tried medical grade pancreatic enzymes. Nothing has made any difference.
Recently baby has been having more blood, and the food diary does not show me any correlations until I go back for 72 hrs or so. There seems to be more blood on the 3rd day after eating fish. It seems to me to be too long. Fish was the last food re-introduced to the diet, and stools remained mucousy and positive for months, so now I turn to you - again. Could it take that long for blood to appear? Why would that be the case? Also, why are stools always mucousy and blood positive regardless of diet?

Thanks in advance.

DanielaDaniela Torres Marco MS, RD, IBCLCPediatric DietitianBoard Certified Lactation Consultant> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:53:40 -0600> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: [LACTNET] Blood in stools - another question> To: [log in to unmask]> > I have a related question. Working with a baby with blood in stools. Stools slimy/mucuousy since meconium was passed (DOL 3). Blood usually occult, but periodically bright red specks/spots. Mom completely off dairy and soy for over 4 months, also down to ~10 foods for 10days. Nothing made a difference. No hiden sources of either soy or milk in diet. Mom very careful. > Have been trying to pinpoint souce of increased blood with carefull food diaries, but the culprit still eludes me. Here's my question. How long after eating a food (allergen/intolerance) should I expect to see blood? So far nothing comes out clearly. How far back should I be looking? Any personal experience or research much appreciated.> > Thanks> > Daniela Torres Marco MS, RD, IBCLCPediatric DietitianBoard Certified Lactation Consultant> _________________________________________________________________> Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live.> http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_sharelife_012008> ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2