Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:59:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Dear Lactnetters,

It has been some years since I have been on Lactnet, and resubscribed today to ask for your help as the best lactivists I know! 

I'm sure the plight of Meriam Ibrahim and her babies, languishing in a Sudanese prison, are not unknown to you. You may be aware that the reason her execution is stayed 2 years is because the Koran protects breastfeeding to the age of 2. So it is breastfeeding her newborn that is protecting her for now. 

You may also be aware that she is scheduled to be flogged 100 lashes * this weekend *. This has been bothering me in the back of my mind for some reason. Suddenly this morning I knew why and realized we must do everything possible to stop the flogging. Here's why:

Flogging removes skin from the back, leading to major dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Flogging also causes a rush of adrenalin and cortisone and the whole cascade of hormones to protect the body against such pain. Either of those mechanisms will interfere with lactation, such that I believe she will instantly lose her milk. 

Therefore the flogging will lead to instant weaning. When her guards figure out she has no milk & has weaned, they will execute her now, not in 2 years. 

Everyone thinks we have 2 years to speak the case to the courts, but we really only have 1 or 2 days. I have sent these specific concerns today to Amnesty International and to the Family Research Council (who was with 40 other groups at the White House this morning trying to get President Obama to use the influence of the USA on her behalf). But we need lactivists in action & now!!  

Can you help? What else can we do? I know this group will not stay silent!   :-)

Thank you my friends.
Katharine West, MPH, MSN, RN, CNS

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2