Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:54:57 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I just have to comment on the use of sippy cups.  Just like all things, sippy cups are a tool.  They can be helpful or harmful, just as a breast pump can be helpful or harmful depending on its use.  When it takes me 3 pumping sessions in order to leave enough milk for my toddler while I am away from her for work or the very occasional evening out, I want to make sure she drinks the milk and doesn't spill it.  I am all for cup use but when the liquid is a precious as breastmilk, I don't want to risk losing it as my child discovers how to use a cup and she does like to turn a cup upside down and has spilled reasonable amounts of breastmilk as she discoveres how things work while I am right there with my hands on the cup helping her.

So for the mother who asks, if a sippy cup is a reasonable alternative to a bottle for her young baby, yes it may be.  It really depends on her situation, the child and how abundent her milk is.  She should just understand that most feeding alternatives do carry some sort of risk. Nothing but the breast is like the breast.

Cordelia Merritt RN BSN IBCLC

>

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2