Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 16:22:27 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi Sonya,

I struggle with this too. The first time I heard of this issue was some years ago - relating to black mold that had grown in a second-hand Medela pump. The trouble is that really when you get down to it, this isn't a second-hand problem - it's a design flaw that's a risk whether it's your pump or purchased third hand on craigslist. As I understand it, the lack of a membrane to block moisture from the casing means it's always going to be an issue - though I have yet to hear of any confirmed cases where a baby was made ill from it.

So here's what I say when this comes up:

Single-user pumps are designed to work for fixed period of time - as the second + user, you don't know how much time that motor still has, so it may not be such a great deal after all. Furthermore, the motors on pumps sometimes die a slow death - meaning their power may be compromised (and your milk supply along with it if it's your main way of sustaining supply). (It helps that I happen to have personal experience of this with a pump.) 

The risk of transmitting disease like HIV is not what should stop you, even if a previous user was infected and although you cannot sterilize the entire pump. However, in pumps without a membrane (Medela being the only one I know of), other pathogens like yeast and moulds can live for a long time as spores. I am not aware of any cases where a baby became ill from this - draw your own conclusions about whether you'd like to feed your baby breastmilk coming from a pump where the motor is potentially harboring black mold. I usually suggest that they can call the manufacturer to confirm (also in the hopes that if Medela gets enough such calls, they'll add this to their pumps). 

A lot of my pumping conversations turn into "I guess I don't really even need a pump" (I never pass up an opportunity to teach hand-expression!) - however, that also comes from a place where the mothers I help are fairly privileged, with year-long maternity leaves where the extra $150 on a new pump won't come out of their food budget. I am cognizant that there are mothers for whom the breastfeeding vs. formula-feeding tipping point might hinge on the free or nearly free second-hand pump - and I have trouble suggesting that the risk of the second-hand single user pump is outweighed by the motor-life or moisture trapping (in Medela pumps). 

I do really wish someone was publishing more information on how widespread the yeast/mold issue.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2