Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 16:58:24 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
Kathy -- 

You say "I believe the research shows that with midwife-attended home births, you have much less weight loss in the baby.  You probably also have less IV fluids, AND BETTER EARLY BREASTFEEDING EXPERIENCES." (caps mine...)

That last is a point that cannot be overemphasized.  At home one does not have as many things to prevent, interfere and/interrupt breastfeeding as does one during a one-day hospital stay.  I am sorry to say, even in my fairly BF friendly hospital, too many tests, exams, examiners of one sort or another (including the birth certificate people), not to mention phone calls and visitors, greatly interfere with establishing breastfeeding.  Presumably, moms who have the sense to stay at home (when that is a viable option)
to have their babies also have the sense to let others answer the phone, and suggest to friends and relatives that they give the new family some time alone together.  Presumably they are also willing to put breastfeeding and the baby's needs first on their agenda.

Sincerely,  Chanita, San Francisco
BSc,RN,IBCLC  

ATOM RSS1 RSS2