Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:36:00 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I am reading fast and furiously (more furious after seeing the video on the Medela website) and have not read each post so carefully, but so far I have not seen any comments about the title of the Medela video Nikki posted the URL to, that started this whole thread.  It is called 'Breastfeeding Video'.  There is not one shred of useful information on how to breastfeed nor, as far as I could tell, on why breastfeeding even exists.  There are numerous images of parents and children in the same screen, but none of a child breastfeeding, no image of a breast, and the children I saw in the film ALL lacked the characteristic orofacial musculature of breastfed children.  Some of them had outright atrophied cheek muscles.  Is this the Dept of Strange Coincidences?  I don't think so, somehow.  Exposed, leaking breasts with happy children attached to them would not have fit into the concept of 'this breastfeeding thingie is nearly impossible and not worth the bother when you can use our 'feeding device'.'  That feeding device looked suspiciously like what we used to call a 'bottle' to this simple-minded viewer from a small country near the North pole.  

They can get away with calling this the 'Breastfeeding Video' because even we don't call their bluff on it.  This video has nothing whatsoever to do with breastfeeding.

For the record my gadget-happy daughter has somehow neglected to invest in pacifiers, shields, pumps and bottles ahead of time.  She does have a collection of bras with flaps that open and a sling or two, though.  It's a wonder she's managing to get her baby nourished at all, as stingy as she was about purchasing all the required paraphernalia.  I'm here to tell you all that somehow, unlikely as it may seem, the baby is taking in enough milk to be producing copious soiled and wet diapers.  Believe it or not!

Grrr.
Rachel Myr
Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2