Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:47:58 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
I want to ditto the endorsement of Carol Melcher's Perinatal Services Network program and provide her correct e-mail: [log in to unmask]

The team there is wonderful - the staff outstanding and the program is truly giving us some EVIDENCE-BASED information on what DOES work with resistant staff.  Unfortunately, we have been "stuck" on the 18 hour course, but she found that it only worked with staff that is already interested in breastfeeding support and WANT to learn this information.  Those who are resistant often just sit there, (having been required to attend) cross their arms and you can almost see them say "I KNOW what you're telling me is good, but it just doesn't work in MY hospital because....."  Rarely does the instructor, busy trying to cover everything that is in the course, take the time to talk to and address these issues.

Carol and her Perinatal Services Network program STARTS asking questions about why those present are concerned about breastfeeding support in the hospital, at times 3 hours can be spent addressing those concerns, not by denying them, but by talking about them...the mixed group often has answers for each other rather than the instructor giving answers (sounds like La Leche League support groups to me!).  

THEN the program gives data and explains what concerns them is that mothers who checked into the hospital WANTING to EXCLUSIVELY breastfeed - are not getting to do so.  This takes the pressure off the nurses who thought they were supposed to come to this class then go back and have to PUSH mothers into breastfeeding.

Much of the rest of the first day concentrates ONLY on "attachment parenting" and its value.  THIS is the "hook" - ALL mothers can become attached to their babies - breastfed or not - so the nurse doesn't have concerns against THAT.

Then they are taught about skin to skin and their homework after the first class is to allow as many mothers as possible (whether breast or bottle feeders) to experience skin to skin contact with their babies for 1 - 2 hours after birth.

SOFT stands for Skin to skin, Open Eyes, Fingertip Touch and Time Together - all items that can be charted on and observed.  

The staff return for their next class a week or 2 later with a whole different outlook, willing now to learn more about breastfeeding.  

Despite my describing this, you have to understand that Carol has been doing this for a LONG time - she is excellent and has all the materials - each time I see her in action I am amazed at how she defuses negative comments without putting down or criticizing or putting the staff on the defensive.  She calls this the "relational model" and spoke some about it at the last ILCA Conference.  

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
  ...lucky to be in California right now, where some exciting work is being done!

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2