Jessica Donahue,RN. wrote:

>        As for the poor women in our country I think our Federal Government
> has done enough harm already by handing all poor people Free formula. Instead
> of trying to get the government to get  formula companies out of the picture
> for us by not letting them advertise, why don't we demand that the goverment
> stop buying all the formula to give out  in the first place.  Spend the wic
> money predominently on breastfeeding promotion, education, and follow up
> support for bf moms. I am not involved in Wic but i have heard that the
> majority of costs are for purchase of formula and other foods.

Someone please explain to me why WIC gives formula for free but allows other moms to
struggle with renting breastpumps to go back to work to get off of PA programs?!  I know
that a breastpump rental is a least half of the cost of a months worth of formula and it
doesn't make sense to me.

And WHY does medical assistance pay for fertility counseling and shots of perganol for
moms who are on public assistance for years but once they have the baby, they won't dish
out the bucks for a mom to see a IBCLC on referral before discharge?  rent her a pump?

This has been an actual case I have dealt with and I must say it has me in a serious
uproar!  If my tax $ is going to support this mom and her countless efforts to have a
baby, then I ought to be able to afford her a breastpump rental so she can give her baby
the best and lower her medical costs that we all eventually pay!  Anyone care to explain
this one?

WIC should be charging the moms for their choice to formula feed ($1 a can or something)
because it would cost the tax payer less money to support the program and force some of
these moms to make the healthier choice to breastfeed.  Let's face it, some of the WIC
moms are not responsible for themselves let alone a new baby and often don't want to
take on what is need to raise their own children!  I should say that I have nothing
against being poor, I just don't think that being poor excuses one from accepting the
responsibilities of being a good parent to your children; these moms should be
breastfeeding for the health of their children and that's all there is to it!

Of course, this is all my opinion and not worth much but I really think it is time to
expect more from certain groups on gov't assistance and we should start doing more for
the breastfeeding WIC mom.  An example would be:  WIC gives free formula to bfing moms,
why can't they give free pump rentals to bfing moms who are going back to work?  In my
opinion, WIC is a self defeating program (at least in my little corner).  While there
are moms who do breastfeed and get WIC services, there are far more who don't and
collect the free formula (after all, if you get more for free not breastfeeding why
would you wnat to breastfeed)  The visual affirmation of moms picking up their free
formula what keeps the cycle going.  I know that I appreciate more the things I have to
work for or pay for than the things I get for free!

Getting out of this conversation now!  Politics drives me crazy!  I hope I have not
offended anyone by this as it was not my intention.  I realize that other WIC programs
may be different but I am basing my posting on my immediate area.
--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner
RD 7 Box 382
Bedford, PA  15522
Fax & Voice: 814-623-9357
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2