Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2014 12:38:32 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
What you are basically saying is that there are two worlds of healing - one scientific where we can explain if we are able to find enough information, how cells utilize nutrients provided to energize and reproduce undamaged copies of themselves, how neurons with proper nutrients receive and transmit and build and use neurotransmitter across the gaps, etc.  The other is a non-physical world that involves spiritual forces both friendly and non-friendly to humans.  This involves belief and culture and tradition.   Many would find objection to methods that are non-scientific if they clash with acceptable religious practices.  For instance, I know many evangelical Christians that would object to acupuncture, yoga, CST, applied kinesiology, etc because these are not scientific healing methods and call on religious theories that are NOT compatible with traditional Christianity.   So when you are making recommendations for further treatment to clients, their religious worldview must be considered!

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nikki Lee
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: Osteopathy Question

Dear Lactnet Friends:

There is more to clinical practice than the hierarchy of evidence. Our  focus on evidence relies on a cartesian view of the world.

Where is the evidence to support Love? How many units of Love are required for a baby to thrive? What degrees of Love are important?

CST is a blend of energetic and physical medicine. It does lack that evidence based that we all use; and, as a practitioner, to witness a baby's skull bones expand under my hands, as the mother watches, fascinated, gives it 100% validity in my practice. To see a torticollis, diagnosed and treated with physical therapy yet still unresolved, completely disappear forever while under my hands, gives it 100% validity in my practice.

Heather describes more good things, as parents tell their stories, release the feelings around the stories, and go on with renewed commitment and connection with their babies. Heather says, "Maybe when they see the successes they are witnessing the effect of sympathetic engagement with the parents. They are seeing that taking parents' concerns for the well being of their baby seriously, empowers parents so they became better able to respond to the baby. They become more confident and more tuned in. They feel cared for themselves."

Heather is right; something else that CST offers is missing in most clinical situations, where labor is driven by drugs and machines, and mothers and babies emerge disconnected, and often injured. People want to be touched as part of healing; this notion has been part of human history forever, as mothers kissed the boo-boo and comforted their loved ones.

There is far more to evidence than randomized controlled clinical trials, that have value only when taken as part of the answer, not the whole answer.

warmly,
--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy* www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth

*Get my FREE webinar series *

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2