Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:51:42 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (65 lines)
Dear All,

Thank you all for pointing me to Linda Smith wonderful book. It indeed is a great resource and perhaps even the best resource. I managed to lay my hands on that one. :) Here I am trying to segregate primary and secondary causes to suppressed or low milk supply in particular. The most prominent cause of suppressed milk supply is secondary to infant oral issues and mother-baby separation leading to insufficient and ineffective breast stimulation. I am interested to know more on primary causes of lactation failure or delayed lactogenesis such as:
	* Placental Retention - established ways to identify and assess this condition? none surgical ways of resolving this issue? Incidence of retention of placenta in a surgical birth.

* High levels of cortisol due to pain & stress during a difficult or long labor - a cause for delay in lactogenesis II
	* Cesarean birth causing delayed lactogenesis - references?
	* Sheehan Syndrome - postpartum bleeding - management of this condition to sustain breastfeeding?
	* Maternal shock and depression due to unexpected turn of events during labour - treatment modalities such as craino-sacral therapy and ?
	* Preterm delivery
I am not adding GI (glandular insufficiency) or breast surgery as a cause as this is not related to birth or labor related factors. I would appreciate insights and may be additions to this list from your valued experiences.

And yes Pat Mumbai and other major cities in India are moving towards more of intervention & surgical deliveries (urban bane) while the flip side is the complete deprivation of important needed intervention to women in the rural areas. This is the disparity of use of technology in India. :( 

Thank you

Yasmin MA, HDSE, CLEC, LLLL, IBCLC
www.nourishandnurture.in
Mumbai, India

(from sunny Mumbai where I still seem to get sudden episodes of adrenaline rush from having passed my IBCLC exam !!!)

Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2011, 19:42
Subject: Re: Impact of Birthing practices & complications on mother's milk supply.

Dear Yasmin, is there any way you can get your hands on "Impact of Birthing Practices, 2nd ed. revised"  by Linda Smith? (ISBN: 978-0-7637-6374-9,  c. 2010) It does cost $50, US.  Can your library or university get this?
Is birth in Mumbai becoming more intervention-type? :-(  Everyone off to hospital and major interference?
Chapters:
Historical Perspectives on Childbirth and BF
Evidence-Based Practice in Perinatal Care
Companion(s) of Mother's choice
Cascade of Interventions: Physics, Forces, and Mechanics
Cascade of Interventions: Chance or Choice? The Seduction of Induction
Modifiable Labor Influences: Freely Move About or "Gravity Works"
Modifiable Labor Influences: Eat and Drink, or "Labor is Work"
Modifiable Labor Influences: Labor Pain Management
Modifiable Birth Influences: Surgery and Trauma
Restoration and Recovery (this chapter goes in to STS, risk of separation of mother and baby, supplements, BFHI etc.

It's all ghere in one book!  Pat in SNJ (not L.S.'s advertising rep.  I just love the book) 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2