Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:07:15 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
A warm thank you to the colleagues who sent me the Mitchell-article, a review with recommendations for SIDS-prevention.
Great, huh?! You ask for something, you go to bed, you wake up and... there it is! hahaha

What a difficult discussion this is... :-(
I know I am heading toward more of it, considering the fact that I am translating Jim McKenna's book into Dutch.
Keeping the controversy in mind, I gather that some people will not be amused by this publication.
On studying a few of the articles on this topic, I am shocked to see how adversaries of bed-sharing selectively pick from individual studies and from the collection of studies as a whole.
But what I am worried about most, is the reeeaaally bad way of defining variables in studies.
Researchers and policy makers alike don't seem to care about calling something 'cot death' when in fact the baby suffocated or was head covered or strangled.
It is the same discussion we have with breastfeeding, recently very well pointed out by Susan B. and a few others.
We can draw NO VALID CONCLUSIONS if we don't even know what we are measuring.
I discussed it with Magda last Saturday: there is no use saying you drew up credible growth curves on the basis of a million children and then dismissing the ones based on a 1000 children, if the former were ill defined and the latter were carefully controlled! If you have the right population, the size is not all that important. If you have the wrong population, the size is totally irrelevant.

My... I don't know how to reword the text we are editing into something I can live with because it is scientifically correct AND into something that will be accepted by those who are committed to condemning bed-sharing altogether... :-s

Bye,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2