Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 17:26:16 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Hi all,Many apologies for misspelling hyperprolactinemia as hypoprolactinemia in my post  on 31st March. I was very tired when I wrote it and even suspected when lying in bed in the middle of the night that I had misspelt it. 
I put up the brief explanation as I thought that so much of what we learn as lactation consultants has come from the observations and sometimes subsequent research of lactation consultants who see a large number of women. New ideas are interesting and deserve thinking about - whether the idea is any use or not in the end. I was also very grateful to those who had replied to my previous questions and wanted to share something that may be of interest to others.
I appreciate that this is a description and not research:...The lactation consultant in our local milk bank is passionate about breastfeeding and passionate about milk banking.  She runs a milk bank that has always lead the way in the UK in terms of high adherence to good practice standards and attention to detail. When she says something I listen and think about it. She was speaking at our local La Leche League of Ireland conference in March and described how several times a year she sees milk from donors that when it is defrosted contains clumps or strings of milk. When tested (as all the milk is tested)  this milk contains high amounts of Staph Aureus. She feels she has to inform the donor of this as there is a potential risk of mastitis for the donor. She recommends the mum see her GP and have her milk tested for Staph A before and after antibiotic treatment. When she has spoken to these mums they describe how what had been a huge supply goes right down.
Regarding the woman producing milk before she was pregnant and then producing copious amounts of milk etc after the birth of her baby I thought that perhaps as mum was already attending her doctor and that no one knew what the problem was that it may perhaps be worth having her milk checked for bacteria levels just in case a breast infection was causing her problems.
Anyway apologies if I did not explain well enough. Best wishes,Sarah McCann. BScHons, IBCLC, LLL Leader.www.BreastfeedingResourcesNI.co.uk 		 	   		  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2