Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:53:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I also wondered why a bottle was needed if mom worked from home, but perhaps she is an accountant, for example, and during a consultation with a client, would want the baby to be bottlefed and not breastfed?

In any case, the mother is asking for help with occasional bottlefeeds of ebm. If possible, I would ask the family to take a break from these efforts, allowing the baby to "re-boot" and perhaps forget the bottle. In a few days, or a week, other family members could then non-chalantly put some water in a bottle and suck on it. Mom could do this while breastfeeding, but not asking the baby to do it. The baby may take an interest in this activity.

Perhaps a very small bottle and colorful, that the baby could try to grasp and look at. I am thinking a hospital volufeeder or colostrum container (1-2 oz) and could be painted with pretty, safe colors. I worked very part-time when I had a 4 month old. She did not take a bottle (at first) and so my mother fed her very slowly and carefully with a sippy cup. I was not away long and so she could make up for taking less from the sippy cup when I got home. An eyedropper could also be used, especially if mother is not far away and baby doesn't have to wait too long to eat. Just a little with the dropper may be enough to hold her til mom is available again.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
BMH-UC Breastfeeding Resource Center
 "Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of BMH-Union County or Baptist Memorial Healthcare Corporation."

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete it immediately.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2