Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:18:07 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Thank you for your reply, Susan.

When I have questioned information in the past (after class, in private, specifically about an antihistimine - Loratadine - being contraindicated in all breastfeeding and pregnant women) I offered resources which showed it to be rated "safest" in breastfeeding, and only a problem during certain times of pregnancy. I was told that Hale wasn't a resource they trusted and the information they gave would be what was on the RN board exams. Yesterday, the instructor told me I needed to learn to keep my mouth shut, despite not saying a single controversial thing this quarter!! It has been difficult, sitting on my hands this week, but I've done it and kept my mouth shut!

I did find it ironic that this month's copy of Nurse2008, had a 2-page article about protecting breastfeeding, and how health care providers could better accomplish the Healthy People 2010 mission!

Additionally, I found it ironic that I got a helping call yesterday from a mother whose baby "is allergic to dairy" but the mother wants to wean to a non-dairy, DHA-ARA fortified formula. She called me not for weaning information, but for a recommendation of what formula to use. I had to admit that I had absolutely no information regarding different formulas, that the use of DHA-ARA was controversial and not proven to be necessary, and that if her baby was having that much difficulty tolerating dairy through her breastmilk, it might be challenging to find something on WIC that would be tolerated by her 3-month baby. She came up with a few ideas on how she could continue to breastfeed at least partially for at least a while.

I thought about if I were "pro-breastfeeding" I could have shamed her into continuing to breastfeed, or offered her all sorts of reasons why she shouldn't use formula. But, I didn't. **sigh** I guess I'm not "pro-breastfeeding" after all! 

Breastfeeding is normal behavior. If one doesn't want to do this, it is not my place to change minds, it is my place to offer information, correct information, regardless of my opinion.

Best wishes,
Sam

---- Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 
> Sam, pitting the biological norm against the economic gain of an industry does not lend itself to "opinion" -- but then you knew that!!<<>>>   
> Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
> Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2