Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:44:57 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
In response to Amy's question regarding the difference between "CLE" and IBCLC. I share the concern of the IBCLC's. I myself am not yet an IBCLC, I am working toward that however I do not feel that the five day course followed by months of intensive homework makes me qualified to deal with situations meant for an IBCLC. It's much more than classroom education that makes a qualified lactation consultant, it's clinical practice, it's working with experienced individuals in a clinical setting and actually having hands on experience. While I feel that I learned a lot in the classroom, as well in the months that I have spent on homework I don't feel that qualifies me.

I see an obvious conflict in this "certificate" right off, four days of training that Amy spoke of vs. the five days and months of homework that my course required. I'm not saying one is better or worse, simply that the obvious difference in requirements is a red flag in my mind. I am vigorously working toward my IBCLC certification, and get phone calls, requests for assistance often. I am very careful to handle what is appropriate and call on more experienced individuals or make necessary referrals whenever there is any doubt. I have recently experienced problems with people having taken the 4 day crash course and then returning and practicing as lactation consultants, often times resulting in damaging the breastfeeding process. This is a very important position that requires intensive and COMPLETE education, rushing in to it will only hurt those we most desire to help, mothers and babies. That is what we need to remember most of all.

Sarah Tanner
("CLE" training to become IBCLC)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2