Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 21:40:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Hi all,

The alleged "drop" in supply at 3-4 months correlates to when the bottlefed babies start getting ahead of breastfed babies on weight. However, the difference is partly in how you define "normal." 

The DARLING studies that are examining normal, well-nourshed BF and BoF kids in the Davis CA area clearly show that breastfed babies begin differing in growth patterns around 3-4 months. The BoF kids start getting heavier per length and fatter, but have smaller head circumference. And the difference is more pronounced in boys. If bottlefeeding is "normal," then the BF kids look lean. But if BF is normal, the BoF kids look fat. And all kids this age are very distractable as someone posted - they try to watch TV or play with toys while they nurse, which tries mom's patience immensely. (I hated when my son drove his little cars across my chest during nursing sessions.)

The big political argument is whether the breastfed curves are the only legitimate norms, or whether there should be two sets of standards - one for BF and one for BoF. (But that's another discussion entirely.)

Breastfeeding is normal, remember?

Linda Smith, Dayton OH
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
http://www.bflrc.com/bflrc.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2