Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:05:03 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hi, 
A mom I'm working with is from Germany, 6 wk old baby. She has a sore lump in left upper breast which has not gotten better with 2 days of heat, massage. It appeared after she slept for 6 hrs. 
I have sug. more heat, more and different massage, and lots of rest and nursing. Baby is fussy on that side (just since this prob), but she thinks she could get him to nurse a lot at night. 
No fever/malaise, surface lump or redness in mom. 
Thing is, she would like to put a cream from Germany called "ABC Cream", 'the kind that gets hot for sore muscles', on the area. I told her that as long as it's not where baby puts his mouth, probably not enough would get into the milk to harm baby, but of course I can' tell her that for sure, as I don't know for sure.
However, she is worried that since she's putting it on her breast, it could go right into the milk. I told her no, but just want to ask here on Lactnet to make extra sure I'm right. So- it can't go into her milk directly, right? 
From what she said the stuff is similar to Bengay (not in Hale). So, since it would make her feel better to be able rub something on this problem area, does anyone have any suggestions for other creams, also? Also I wonder if that Japanese type breast massage would be appropriate here, or is that just to increase supply?

Thanks, 
Mary T LLLL and new IBCLC in Calif.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2