Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2014 07:37:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
From what I've read, early solids in developing countries simply don't have enough protein or calories, major cause for malnutrition.  Babies do fairly well until these weaning foods are introduced.  Campaigns for better weaning foods are ongoing, also for more vitamin A foods.  UNICEF provides a paste to be used in "malnutrition " wards that is rich in what toddlers  need besides nursing. 

For instance their yams are very pale compared to what we use in US which are yellow to orange with more vitamin A  We don't worry about Vitamin A in US and EU because our diets are richer in Vit A, but it is a big problem in Africa.  Going thru A. Naylor's Wellstart collection of research and she had a big interest in malnutrition and Vit A. Many things we just take for granted affect the growth and brains of babies elsewhere.  When I have a baby not gaining I worry more about brain growth, than pounds and ounces.  Pat in SNJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2