Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:24:12 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (58 lines)
Hi Nan,

Healthy skepticism is a good thing-no need to apologize! Here is what has happened so far and what is planned:

Evenflo has already removed bottle/nipple images and connection to internet sales from?their Web site. They are developing Code compliant packaging graphics which is expected to ship to the market in the?Summer of?08, and they have?eliminated all bottle/advertising from print and web sites.??So next summer (there is not an exact date yet)?is when the new packaging will hit the shelves. Old packaging will not be re-labeled or recalled. It will be replaced with the new packaging. While marketing of products will always occur, I would like to think that this represents a step along the path of removing marketing practices that interfere with or impede breastfeeding. Under the Code, any materials given to health care professionals must be scientific and factual. If you or anyone on Lactnet has seen Evenflo advertising to health care professionals please let me know so that NABA can evaluate it and recommend changes or elimination?when needed.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA

-----Original Message-----
To: Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:40 am
Subject: Re: Evenflo's Move to Code Compliance

Pardon my cynicism, but this is a change in marketing strategy, not?
conversion to the cause of breastfeeding; although there are undoubtedly some in Evenflo who are in favour of breastfeeding.?
?
They will simply focus their sophisticated marketing skills to health care professionals - permitted under the Code, and then the HCP do the rest, happily and authorititatively recommending and prescribing their products. They're working on LCs now....?
?
In LLL we've always known that the relationship is everything, marketers?
have also known this.?
?
I hope I'm wrong.?
Nan Jolly MB BCh. IBCLC. LLLL?
Port Elizabeth, South Africa?
?
----- Original Message ----- From: <[log in to unmask]>?
?
>I just wanted to acknowledge all of the very positive responses I have been >receiving to Evenflo's decision to become Code compliant. There is more to >the story as to where that motivation came from. The credit for starting >the ball rolling goes to Nancy Mohrbacher, an employee of Ameda and a >lactation consultant. When informed that Ameda was being sold to Evenflo, a >non-Code compliant company, Nancy explained the difficulty that any LC >would have in working for such a company, essentially informing them that >there would be a large loss of employees from Ameda! With a basic >explanation of the Code to Evenflo?and?the ramifications of remaining >non-Code compliant, Evenflo decided that the right thing to do was to seek >complete Code compliance which is where NABA entered the picture. I have >seldom had such pleasure in all of the Code work that I have done than when >Evenflo agreed to each step that was necessary to accomplish Code >compliance. There is still more work to be done to?cause this to happen?and >NABA is so pleased to be involved in a positive Code effort for a change!?
> Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC?
> Weston, MA ?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2