Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 16:17:42 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I've seen over 1000 mothers who have undergone fertility treatments in Manhattan and not a single one of those mothers complained about anyone every saying "just adopt".  Not one, not ever.  On the other hand many complained about the rigors of the treatment regimen, the waiting times, and the negative comments about their "old" eggs. So perhaps it is different in other areas of the country.

As for research on the expenditures on formula versus breastmilk, there have been numerous articles on the topic. I am not going to track them all down because this fact has been well established as well as the fact that most of the education for health care professionals is financed by the formula industry.

As for how miniscule the amount of research money paid for by the US government supposedly to help breastfeeding that actually goes towards breastfeeding research, I wrote about this a year or two ago and that information is available in the Lactnet archives.  

The reason why human milk is so unavailable is merely marketing.  The procedures for making human milk available are really no different than the procedures for making the milk of any other mammal available and all are quite well known to science and even my mother and my grandmother knew how to pasteurize milk.  It is not rocket science.  

Why, when we have 95% of hospitals in the United States that have baby unfriendly practices are we debating about the need for more research about the use of an artificial product than putting research into the need for using that product in the first place.  Particularly when it is being used for babies who are not yet at risk?

Sincerely, 
Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2