Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 14:21:35 +0000
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (2184 bytes) multipart/alternative (2184 bytes) , multipart/alternative (-1 MB) , text/plain (-1 MB)
I'm in total agreement with Gonneke.  Apart from anything else, the vast 
majority of women who are lactating, have just been through a vast array 
of standardised infection tests (different for each country) as they 
prepare for labour. 

We need to stop being more afraid of woman's bodies, than we are of 
cow's bodies.  And we need to trust in women's intelligence and 
discernment, more than we trust industrial food manufacturers. It's as 
if it's acceptable for anonymous international conglomerates to put 
babies in higher risk categories, but completely unacceptable for the 
mother to take control of those risks factors for herself.

Morgan Gallagher

gonneke van veldhuizen wrote:
> Dear friends,
> Being a long time LLLleader, I respectfully disagree with this LLL policy to not recommend informal milk exchange or wetnursing. Though I am fully aware of any kind of scary outcome from some infected or otherwise compromised woman, I als am very well aware of the fact that we hardly ever question the safety of any given mother to breastfeed her own child, and of the fact that using non-human milk food for the human infant has many more, very much better documented and fairly less hypothetical hazards. In this I stick with the WHO recommendations to use a human milk scource before a non-human alternative. Ofcourse, in doing so I will inform the mother of all possibilities with every pro and con of every option and ways to work as safe as possible. Mothers are self-responsible adults, who can make their own well-informed choices, given they have all information needed. Disadvising instead of fully informing is not in tune with overall LLL phylosophy.
>
>   

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.1/1870 - Release Date: 12/31/2008 8:44 AM              *********************************************** Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html To reach list owners: [log in to unmask] Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask] COMMANDS: 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2