Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 23:56:53 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
I work with a lot of moms who use donor milk, but sometimes that option is not available and they choose home-made formulas for their babies, or a combination of donor milk and the formula. Usually, these moms are very committed to breastfeeding, and they are either unwilling to give their babies commercial AIM or their babies have been made sick by commercial products. Usually, the supplement is less than half of their babies' intake and is used while the mom works to optimize her supply. Occasionally, I have worked with moms who fed previous babies solely on home-made formulas and are now giving bfing another go. 
IME, these babies fare far better than they did on commercial formulas in cases where they were introduced. While I have never had anyone use the Hernandez formula, I have had moms use a wide variety of other formulas, primarily based on goat milk. Sometimes babies are made so sick by commercial formulas that they cannot gain weight and a home-made formula turns the tide. I have seen FTT babies turn around completely in 2 weeks on home-made formulas and have kept a few illegitimate potential DCF referrals at bay by using them in consult with the baby's ped.

As I have read this thread, it is clear to me that many issues are present for the family referenced and I would in no way be comfortable with the situation either. That said, many of the responses to the home-made formula itself are very concerning to me and imply that LCs might feel justified in determining that a baby is at risk simply because of the use of the formula. Frankly, if my own babies had ever been deprived of human milk, knowing what I do about nutrition, I would have made my own formula in a heartbeat before an ounce of any commercial products crossed their lips. Many mothers make their own formulas bc commercial products are akin to junk food--prepared with the cheapest, poorest quality ingredients available such as GMO grains, corn syrup and other risky sugars (such as fructose), synthetic vitamins and cheap oils, not to mention questionable water sources. 
The implications in some of the responses really concerned me. I hope that LCs do not use this situation to interact inappropriately with moms who are aware enough of the risks of commercial AIM that they may opt for a different choice, should it be necessary. One last note--I found the comment on vegan formulas to be uncalled for. There is no indication this family used this formula for any reason other than that other options had failed. The Hernandez formula was developed to help babies allergic to animal milks, not to feed vegan babies. I think a fair analysis of the statistics would indicate far more infant deaths are caused by feeding non-vegan, commercial formulas than by feeding "vegan concoctions". That a certain situation is "high-profile" does not make it common by any means. The bottom line is that when babies are poorly nourished, they get sick. No matter what they are fed. 

This baby is at risk for many reasons, the least of which is the mother's effort to find a tolerable formula. No formula of any kind can ever substitute for human milk. When a mother who is aware of the risks of AF is faced with having to do so, I suggest that we support her if she is motivated to find a better option than commercial AIM. 
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, USA & France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Thank you all, so much, for responding to my plea for help.   Here's a quick update.   I called one of our large pediatric practices here in Denver to get their input.  The providers said that while it certainly isn't recommended, they didn't feel that the baby was in any immediate risk.  The advised me to reach out to her every other day and check in, hopefully she will invite me back for one more test weight, or possibly come into the hospital for a free test weight -- which I will offer.   As the only professional she has invited in, the doctor suggested I be as kind and supportive as possible without condemning any of the behaviors.  Crying it out - while abhorrent to me - is a documented parenting style actually supported by the AAP and not they type of thing social services would respond to here.  (shudder!)   I called her yesterday to check and she reported that baby "just doesn't like her" and now won't latch well - so that is a bigger concern.  I'm planning on setting up a free check in tomorrow to do another test weight.  The doctor is fairly certain the baby won't be gaining and then I can encourage her to try commercial formula again.   I did hear from a few people that the Hernandez Formula is not out of the ordinary, but usually not used before 6 months.   It is heartbreaking to me that beyond feeding this baby, I feel like this kiddo will always be at risk.  Unfortunately, you don't have to be sane and/or loving to have children.   Thanks again for all the help and the (mostly) kind advise.  It is wonderful to have this link since sometimes I feel I work in isolation.  I appreciate the reminder that I am part of a bigger picture.   Kristiin Denver, CO

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2