Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:57:37 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
To whom it may concern

As a consumer, a breastfeeding mother, a breastfeeding advocate, educator and postpartum support person, I am writing to voice my displeasure with your conduct regarding the passing on of customer names to Mead Johnson.

I accompanied my sister to your store to purchase garments. We found the service quite appropriate and helpful.

I am very careful when filling out information cards and have instructed my sister as well, so that we can avoid all contact with any formula marketing. I am very aware of marketing practices of makers of artificial infant milk (formula) producers and believe they do not need extra help from companies such as yours. As well had we known that you had such an association with Mead Johnson, we would not have purchased anything from your store.

My sister being a first time mom still needed much support after the birth of her baby, and at 6 weeks, was having doubts about her breastmilk. What I found amazing is that 2 days later a parcel of infant formula AND a bottle from M-J ended up on her doorstep.
Coincidence??? Who knows. What I do know is, if it had been any other mom (like myself when at 6 weeks I felt the same way and gave formula because I had it, instead of knowing that lactation support was available to me), she would have been more than likely encouraged to give the formula, there by beginning a downward spiral that could well have ended the breastfeeding relationship between her and her child http://www.who.int/nut/inf.htm. I have seen this, heard this and experienced this tale all to often as a birth and breastfeeding peer counselor.

I have already contacted Mead Johnson regarding how they would have gotten my sister's name. They informed me that they get names from clothing stores. Yours is the only store that had her name and address, and the only store from which we purchased clothing from (Calgary, Market Mall). I can assure you that never did we sign anything that stated we wished to receive information regarding the "Baby Steps" program. 

I am disgusted at such a practice, and wonder if you understand the dynamics of breastfeeding and how fragile a thing it is in our formula feeding society.The timing of the package being delivered , I am sure is by no means  a coincidence. I can not fathom how anyone could be in a business that caters to the mother without realizing how much impact they will have on her child 6 weeks after the baby is born. Research has already proven that if an expectant mother receives information regarding the artificial feeding of her child that she is more at risk for discontinuing the breastfeeding relationship with her child. You can only imagine if she has this stuff anonymously delivered to her door when she is still within the postpartum adjustment time when breastfeeding is still being established. Due to this small piece of data I can assure you, that by your giving out these names you are quite possibly, though indirectly, responsible for many mothers turning to formula, which directly impacts the health of the child. 

I add this link http://www.infactcanada.ca/ to the web site of INFACT Canada. Here you will find all the information of how to promote breastfeeding without also being a detriment to it. As you will see, the WHO code prevents these makers of artificial infant milks from directly advertising to expectant and new mothers http://www.who.int/nut/documents/infant_formula_trade_issues_eng.pdf . By you offering/selling/giving/trading the lists of pregnant women and their friends and family, you are doing their work for them. I say that if they are to sell this artificial infant food, then let it be by the choice of the parent and not because in a moment of frustration, mom turns to the food offered to her by this company because your company gave them her name. 

I am forwarding this letter to all the professionals and breastfeeding organizations that I know, so that they can be made aware of, and alert their members (and the public that support breastfeeding), that you have this anonymous association with Mead Johnson.

Sincerely 

Patricia Blomme

Patricia Blomme RN
Perinatal Nurse
VP Canadian Childbirth Association
Birth Educator/Doula
Lay Breastfeeding Counselor
Our greatest food for thought is.......breastmilk! 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2