Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 1996 12:38:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I can't believe I forgot to tell you when the baby was born!  My mind has been shut
in a down mode for a little while.

Baby was born at 37.5 weeks after mom had received both mag. sulfate (not sure when yet
or how often) and brethine since April (baby was born on 7/3/96).  Baby weighed 6 pounds
10 ounces and was discharged at 6 pounds 5 ounces.  Baby was a re-admit for dehydration.
 Baby was discharged the next morning after I saw her on 7/9/96 and is now in the care
of Ped and LBCLC home healthcare RN.  She is breastfeeding since two days after re-admit
discharge but unfortunately depression is still a factor.

Baby during admission was extremely hard to wake, would not take a bottle or breast for
more than 3 or 4 minutes every 4-6 hours.  Baby did suck on a finger quite well while
remaining asleep so mom was fingerfeeding using SNS until baby latched.  Baby is doing
well.  Now the concern is mom's pp depression.  I no longer have an involvement in this
case but may be able to get updates on their progress and past history if someone needs
it.

My thanks to all who haveand continue to share their personal experiences and knowledge
about this subject.  I have found about a 50/50 split on this issue.  half of the people
who responded feel that there may be a connection with poor feeders, sleepy babies and
dysfunctional suck.  The other half feels that there is something else adding to the
problem with these mothers.  Being that I am not yet IBCLC, I was pleased to get so many
responses to this topic.  Thanks to all and let me know of any updated info on this
subject.  Updates are hard to find in CowTown, USA. :)

--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner         Fax: 814-624-0846
RD 7 Box 382               Voice:  814-623-9357
Bedford, PA  15522         E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2