Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:12:07 EDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Jodi wrote:
" If any oils are to be used on the nipples for increase of or  decrease of milk supply, the breast must be thoroughly cleansed with soap  and water prior to breastfeeding."

I would not recommend using eo's on the nipple. There really is no need to, since they would work when applied to the breast. But, the big problem really is that eo's on the breast become eo's in the breast and change the flavor of milk.

" By-the-way FYI .. oils to increase the flow of milk are fennel (1. relatively non-toxic, used for insufficient milk supply) geranium (2. non-toxic, great for engorgement, balances hormones) or clary sage (3. non-toxic but avoid in pregnancy) to be use externally in a massage."

According to "Aromatherapy for Women" by Maggie Tisserand, most oils are inappropriate for use on the nipples, except a very dilute rose (for sore nipples), which would still need to be washed off. She recommends fennel oil to increase supply (taken internally), and a compress of lavender, geranium or rose for mastitis. However, from personal experience, lavender on the breast can make a baby refuse to nurse. She recommends peppermint for nausea and bergamot, geranium, lavender, rose and linden blossom for the atmosphere and for the bath: melissa, bergamot, lemon, orange, rosewood and lemongras as well as sandalwood (also for heartburn), geranium, rose, jasmine, patchouli and ylang-ylang. Most American practitioners do not take the oils internally, but it is very common for European practitioners.
    According to other resources, the following oils are safe in pregnancy: frankincense, geranium, grapefruit, lemon, mandarin, neroli, patchouli, petigrain, sandalwood, tea tree and ylang-ylang. Camomile and lavender are safe after the first trimester and cypress and jasmine after 20 weeks when used w/ care.
    I have used eo's during pregenancy and while nursing. I have also used them a lot on my children and find them to be highly therapeutic. My favorite experience with an eo was several years ago when I was doing labor support for a family. I used clary sage in the crock pot I used to heat water for compresses. The nurses and doctors on the floor all came wandering in, just to sit down and breathe in the aroma! They said it was wonderful and made the whole unit feel relaxed. I had brought it to apply to the mom's pelvis for pain relief, but it had an additional advantage to her in that everyone in her room was so relaxed! Just a note--for nayone who wants to try an eo for the first time--try lavender. Keep it in your kitchen and apply it neat (undiluted) to burns--works wonderfully. (Almost all oils except lavender and tea tree must be used very diluted.)
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2