Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:17:38 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
Actually, one our LC's had this problem.  Went to a breast surgeon who did this very thing.  No more problems! 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathleen Huggins
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:27 PM
Subject: Scales and nipple blebs

Hello!  I was always my understanding the Medela scales are purchased 
from Tanita and are simply privately labeled for them.   The Tanita 
scales are much less expensive.  They have several models to chose from.  Their info is:

Phone: (847) 640-9241
Fax: (847) 640-7978
eMail: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.tanita.com

For many, many years, I have wanted to discuss my experiences with nipple blebs.  I have literally seen hundreds of them over the past 30 years.  I vividly remember the first mom who came to me.  She was totally backed up with nearly a quarter of her breast very full.  I pumped her. I heated her breast. We tried both nursing and hand expression.  After nearly an hour, I called her OB in frustration! I was instructed by the mom's OB (over the phone) to take an insulin syringe and poke at the white bleb.  I gently scraped it away and suddenly her milk squirted out several inches spraying me right in my face!

So they continued to come, these blebs!  Time after time, the moms had tried numerous things at home but many of them came in to the clinic.  We instructed the mom in our presence to gently use the tiny needle on a TB or insulin syringe in good light moving the needle side ways from the outside of the bleb toward the middle.  Usually, the mothers denied having any pain using this procedure although often they did bleed for a minute or two.  It has always seemed to me that we were removing a top layer of skin allowing the milk to begin to flow.  Yes, sometimes we would get a string of white material, sometimes a tiny grain, sometimes nothing but foremilk.

Rarely we got no where despite removing the bleb.

What I am writing now is a secret that I have kept for many years. 
When our efforts to unblock a bleb failed, we turned to our favorite surgeon, Dr. H.  His office used to be close to the clinic and he often would come over while the mom was still in the clinic.  And, this is what he did.......

He took a tear duct probe, one that was several inches long.  If you have never seen one, they are nearly as thin as a strand of hair.  He introduced the probe into the duct and went up into the breast.  Then he would feel a "POP".  He would remove the probe and Voila!: MILK FLOW!  He was always able to clear every single one.  I asked him once if we could video tape one but he said no, unfortunately.

So, my opinion is that a bleb occurs when there is a blockage anywhere in a duct, not just at the nipple.  I think that when the duct is blocked, skin grows over it.  These moms also have horrible shooting pain probably because milk cannot drain and the duct spasms.

Have I freaked you out?

Kathleen
-- 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2