Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:15:42 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (61 lines)
Hi Clare and Pamela,
Many thanks for all this, Pamela!
I'm glad you were able to do this right away as I am now trying to organise everything so I can get off to Manchester tomorrow for LCGB and leave Emily ready for sailing and food etc in the house for everyone else...

It was just fantastic meeting with you both and hearing all your ideas -- we are so fortunate to have IBCLCs with your depth of knowledge and experience on board.

As Clare and I were discussing later, while there have been cuts within the UK,  there is a real global momentum in breastfeeding at the moment, with all the summits on child survival, hunger, family planning etc in the last year all leading up to the UK leading the G8 this summer -- and Save the Children's campaign capitalising on this and working to bring breastfeeding into the forefront of strategies to combat hunger at this summer's hunger summit in the UK:
"There's a real opportunity this year as David Cameron leads the G8 in Britain this year.
He has already shown powerful leadership making new vaccines available to poor people and by agreeing to host a hunger summit.
But the Prime Minister must go further, and step up to fund concrete plans to tackle malnutrition, with breastfeeding at its core.
Read our new report on how breastfeeding saves lives"
from Save the Children Feb 18 2013 
www.savethechildren.org.uk/breastfeeding-more-info

So let's build on that to raise awareness, and show what a useful tool the WBTi can be in increasing the UK's success with breastfeeding.

Thank you both again,

with best wishes
Helen

On 10 Apr 2013, at 18:54, Pamela Morrison wrote:

> Dear Helen and Clare
> 
> Thank you so much for inviting me to such an interesting meeting today.  Helen you've done such an amazing amount of work on the WBTi and know so much about taking this forward, and your enthusiasm is infectious.
> 
> Clare, it was lovely to hear all about Delhi - and thank you so much for your lovely hospitality - lovely lunch!
> 
> OK, responding to the very small tasks I said I'd do, firstly, it looks like the Chief Medical Officer is a pretty important position, whose work focuses on the health of communities rather than health of individuals (BF is a matter of public health, right?) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Medical_Officer_(United_Kingdom) The current Chief Medical Officer is Professor Dame Sally Davies.  The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) acts as the UK government's principal medical adviser and the professional head of all directors of public health in local government.  You can find out more about her here : https://www.gov.uk/government/people/sally-davies  Seems the CMO is concerned with microbial disease (against which BF is effective...!) and her current "cause" is concern about antibiotic resistance, see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/chief-medical-officer-annual-report-volume-2 Over to you.
> 
> Secondly, attached is my paper on the baby's right to be breastfed. Good luck with "selling" this to anyone who will listen.  Every time I've presented on this topic it has been well received internationally, but bottle-feeding is seen to be so normal here.  You'll see that I began these thoughts because I questioned the ethics of formula-feeding being sold to HIV+ mothers on the platform of human rights.  But it's really about whether breastfeeding is a universal human right, and if so, whose right - the mother's or the baby's.  And interestingly, WHO and UNICEf no longer subscribe to their former view, but now promote _recommendations by health-workers_  rather than maternal choice, asking the question, What the reasonable patient want to be told?  A good question in any infant feeding circumstances, and one we could run with, perhaps?
> 
> Helen, I'll write to Arun, and cc to you about the Indicator 8 on HIV and infant feeding.
> 
> Helen regarding sending in messages to LACTNET -  I'm already subscribed, so I just address an email to:
> Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
> If you're not already subscribed, then you can do so by sending a message to
> List-Subscribe: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>   It's ages since I did this, but there's a set of instructions they send involving replying with your email - it's fairly simple, and you sound MUCH more computer-savvy than me.   However, I do agree that messages have fallen off lately.  Did you say that LACTNET was on Facebook??
> 
> Finally, wishing you both the very best for the LCGB conference.  I'm sure there will be a lot of interest in the WBTi, and hopefully you'll be able to recruit more willing helpers to the cause!
> 
> Thank you very much for today, it was great!
> 
> Pamela
> 
> <Morrison P, Ethics of infant feeding choice, Topics in BF Mar 2006.pdf>

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2