Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 15:49:55 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
The post on thickened colostrum reminded me that I wanted to ask about two unusual situations I've seen recently. I know that colostrum can have a variety of colors, but I saw two lately that were very unusual and wanted to know if anyone had ever seen something similar. Recently, we did have a patient that was pumping due to baby not latching to breast. Day one she was unable to hand express or pump even a drop of colostrum. Day two she returned 1 ml of colostrum while pumping, but it appeared to be almost frothy or foamy. Has anyone seen anything similar? Also, I know that colostrum can come in a variety of colors including green. And that some women will have blood or dried blood in the colostrum, but this woman was hand expressing colostrum of a very unusual color that I've never seen before. It almost looked like something  rancid, kind of a thick brownish/green color. We did give it to the babies in both cases without any apparent problems. Both babies took the milk without spitting it back up. Wondering if anyone has seen something similar. 

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2