Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2017 03:29:22 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
We often see a pretty large weight loss in the first 12 to 24 hours. Sometimes 5% or more. I had a baby the other day that lost 7% in 12 hours. Do I really think it's possible for a human being to lose that much fat and muscle in that time? No. The baby also had 6 bowel movements. My theory is that some of this has to be due to passing meconium as well. Has anyone else noticed that when babies have great output on the first day, they inevitably have a big weight loss? But if you wait until 12 or 24 hours for the first official weight, you can minimize some of the unnecessary supplements due to just normal water weight loss. Yes, some of that can continue past the first 24 hours, I'm sure. But I think most of us are looking more at the overall condition of the baby at the time, signs of dehydration, mom's milk supply, etc.
Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Date:    Tue, 16 May 2017 07:19:23 +0200
Subject: 24 hour weight

One question I have about the idea of the 24 hour old weight as a better baseline is: 
In my clinic practice I see mothers & babies in their first week, and most c/s or induced mothers report that they didn't have the massive pedal edema while still in the hospital that they experience by day 4.  So why do we think the babies would diurese by 24 hours?
Susan 
Berkeley, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2