Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:05:18 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I know there is wide variation in feeding patterns. 

I do breastfeeding follow up visits and one baby today looked a bit scrawny and had, in fact, lost 10%. He was 3.5 days old and the breasts were still soft. The term baby was feeding about every 2.5 hours x 20-60 minute feeds, according to mom. He had a poor latch which was corrected and transferred only 10cc and 5cc from each side, respectively, with breast compression. He had 4x voids and 4-5x dark brown stools last 24 hrs. The stools were teaspoon to tablespoon size per mom. Mom felt he was doing great. Had this been a telephone follow-up,  I would have followed with another phone call to see if milk came in and stools changed. I really believe in the 3-4 day checkup. The baby was moderately jaundiced to extremities and was sent for a blood draw; the peds and mother choose to supplement and return for another weight check and see how things are progressing in less than 48 hrs. I realize her milk may come in tonite and bub could gain 4-6 oz overnite.

My question is: 
What is the consensus of the group regarding lengthy feeds? Do you consider this to be a red flag for poor milk intake/low supply? What would you consider a lengthy feed? (I think typical and robust infants feed for about 10-20 minutes and fall off; once they're a bit older, they can "empty" a breast in about 5-6 minutes). I do not think all feeds need to be fast, but I am looking for screening questions. Thanks.
 Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2