Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:20:52 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I understand that selling human milk is illegal because it is classified as human tissue.  But I argue that human milk is quite different from blood and organs, and should thus be looked at differently.  Human organs are irreplaceable (if you sell a kidney, you won't grow another one).  Human blood is replaceable, but in limited amounts, and requires "modern" medicine for it to be drawn, categorized, stored and useful to another person.  And neither organs nor blood competes with an acceptable commercial "man-made" alternative, like milk has with AIM.

But women have always been able to express and provide milk to others, if they wished.  It is possible for a woman to produce large amounts beyond what they need for their own children, and could still be producing for years beyond the time that their own child is even nursing.  Physically, it is ENTIRELY possible for women to give (or sell) milk to another woman, without ANY help or knowledge of any health or legal authorities.

I understand that there is a concern about the safety of the milk (due to health of mother providing the milk) that perhaps neccesitates the involvement of professional services to screen donors and pastuerize the milk.  And no one wants to see a mother's own child being denied milk while she sold it for a profit (the example frequently given that drug addicts would sell their milk for their next fix)  But realistically, what mother in such a situation would be that motivated to pump, etc?  Seems a hard way to make a dollar.

As a marketer, I am intrigued by the idea of woman selling their own milk.  Women produce it, it has a value (look at the $$$ that the formula companies make) why shouldn't women be able to be compensated for their production?  Women like myself, who have chosen to be stay-at-home moms, could make a small income by selling surplus milk.  Others, who by choice or circumstance, who value human milk, but cannot (or chose not) to produce it, could buy it, as there would be a greater supply.  And seeing that human milk has a value, perhaps more women would be motivated to produce their own, rather than buy formula.  I know I have never considered pumping and donating, but if I was compensated, I would definately look into it more seriously.

I had heard that in certain Scandinavian countries, donor mothers are compensated and earn a small income for their families, and there is then enough milk available that no one need ever use formula?  Rachel or others, does this Shangrila actually exist?

(I have not included all my thoughts on this topic, but this post too long already and its late here - so no flames please - these are just ideas I've had)

Janice Reynolds
Consumer Representative, Breastfeeding Committee for Canada
and a marketer who was challenged to think about "how to market human milk"

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2